Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Blog Post #3

Peer editing is defined as “working with someone your own age to help improve, revise, and edit his or her writing” (Peer Edit With Perfection Tutorial) Peer editing has never really been one of my strongest areas in English. Writing papers is something that I have struggled doing for a while, but I have gotten better over time. While watching What is Peer Editing and Writing Peer Review Top 10 Mistakes and viewing the slideshow Peer Edit With Perfection Tutorial, it helped me think about editing others’ posts. It made it a little more clear of how to see mistakes and how to show how to correct others’ posts. When watching the Top 10 Mistakes video, it really made me laugh and help me see that you should take your time while editing a paper because you would want someone else to take the time and make sure your paper was written thoroughly and correctly.
Peer editing is something, as a future educator, that I will have to know how to do very well. Overtime, with practice, it will come easier for me. Being able to write papers is very important. Some colleges require you to write a paper for them to see why you want to go there and to assess your writing skills. You have to start writing papers early on so that when you get into higher grade levels it becomes easier for you. To make sure you are writing your paper correctly you need others to peer edit your paper to show where you have mistakes. In the slideshow one of the steps for peer editing is to make compliments on the paper someone wrote. I agree with that because you do not just want to start telling someone their mistakes straight up and be rude about it. Maybe saying, “ I like how you included ____, but maybe you should reword it so that it makes a little more sense.” You are not only being nice, but also giving them suggestions for making their paper betterTwo students editing a paper together

5 comments:

  1. Hi Jamie! My name is Melissa Neese and I am an Elementary Education major. I am always nervous when writing papers. It is not easy especially making sure to give credit to any source used in your paper. I think writing is like most things, the more you do it the better you get at it. I agree that when you are editing another person's writing, that you should give them the same amount of consideration and care as you would want others to do for you. You also would not want anyone to start off by telling you how bad your writing is.We should all remember to be positive. For me it is a little harder to have to edit our peers. However, it should not be because they are having to do the same assignments as me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thoughtful. And the buts are important!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Overall, good job!

    Working links must be included in every blog post, please add them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good post. Don't forget that working links are required for every blog post, however. Also, I think you might have your alt and title modifiers mixed up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great post and I do agree with you as it being one of the most difficult things to do in college. Peer reviews have always been the one thing that I dread doing but being a teacher along with my career choice of wanting to be a coach it is something we will do our entire career. The thought of helping someone get better makes a little easier to do. Like you, I also found the videos very helpful and even smirked on one or two things that I learned from them because I would have never thought it could be so simple. All in all great post and keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete